Tuesday, June 14, 2011

At last, the 15 Questions Meme strikes

My fellow reviewer/blogger/cinephile Jack introduced me to the 15 movie questions meme, which he says originated with Anna at Defiant Success. And now, I'm inclined to play too. I'd've done this earlier, but I was a bit excited to get out my other posts first.

Here are the questions, as well as my answers...
  1. Movie you love with a passion.
    Zero Effect. The soundtrack, the characters, the lines. I love the whole thing.
  2. Movie you vow to never watch.
    Big Mama's House. Anything, really, with Martin Lawrence,  Rob Schneider...
  3. Movie that literally left you speechless.
    12 Monkeys turned me upside down, drugged me, then me threw me into a hotel swimming pool from an 6th floor window. It brought me to a complete stop.
  4. Movie you always recommend.
    The Big Sleep. There are many, but I don't recommend Miyazaki to people who'd never watch animation. I don't recommend Battle Royale to people with no taste for violence. TBS always works...
  5. Actor/actress you always watch, no matter how crappy the movie.
    Joseph Gordon-Levitt? Dennis Hopper? There's a big list of people that can get me to watch a film, but I haven't seen all of anyone's resume yet...
  6. Actor/actress you don't get the appeal for.
    For the most part, Kiera Knightley. She's like a prettier, skinny version of Kate Winslet. But when she smiles, her mouth looks too small. She's not a really good actress, but I haven't seen her most acclaimed work, yet.
  7. Actor/actress, living or dead, you'd love to meet.
    Mel Brooks and his beautiful wife, Anne Bancroft.
  8. Sexiest actor/actress you've seen. (Picture required!)
    Trish Helfer? Aw, hell, Kate Beckinsale. They're both taken so (a) I won't think of them that way or harp on it and (b) I'm showing a picture of Kate with her husband and kid. I've thought she was gorgeous since her first film.
  9. Dream cast.
    Humphrey Bogart, Lauren Bacall, Hugh Jackman, Cary Grant, Trish Helfer, Christian Bale, Stephen Fry, Martin Freeman, Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Lena Olin, Kate Beckinsale, Tim Roth, Carl Weathers, Bill Dukes, J G-L, Tilda Swinton, Liam Neeson, and Gabriel Byrne. I'm thinking an action/drama with maybe a heavy comedy element. Or a romantic comedy set in a crime backdrop.
  10. Favorite actor pairing.
    H. Jon Benjamin and Aisha Tyler.
  11. Favorite movie setting.
    Vienna, a city that we all know from The Third Man.
  12. Favorite decade for movies.
    Probably the 80s. If I were to think longer and change my mind, the 90s would beat everything else.
  13. Chick flick or action movie?
    Action movie, although I don't ignore chick flicks.
  14. Hero, villain or anti-hero?
    Anti-hero.
  15. Black and white or color?
    Depends on what I'm watching. I can't remember wishing any movie were done in the other style. Monochrome, however, tends to always look beautiful; I practically consider it an effect...
How would you respond to the questions? My choices are largely off-the-cuff, but I stand by what my picks. And this is my shortest article ever, so this entry may be a nice break for us all...
Until next time,
Half a Film Student

2 comments:

  1. Awesome choices, Dennis Hopper is amazing!

    Also 12 Monkeys is a film I didn't like much at first, but then I was completely blown away when I saw it again. Now it's probably my second favourite Gilliam, after Brazil of course.

    And I don't really get the appeal for Knightley either, she's not a particularly bad actress but she's hardly very attractive...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jack! Dennis was/is amazing - did you see my retrospective on him? It's the only one I've done so far.

    I tell you, I'm not surprised by your initial reaction to 12 Monkeys. In fact, it may be a little weird to LIKE a Gilliam movie, considering the characters and events they usually portray. The more I think about it, Gilliam sort of has Kubrick's sensibilities, but with Jeunet's visual style.

    And Knightley, not to sound mean or superior, is one of those women that makes me think: there's nothing really great about her looks, but there's nothing wrong with them, either; she'd be a decent-yet-typical runway model. I'd rather have an unconventional beauty like Jolie or Bacall than Kate Hudson or Kiera. Or I'd go with a total fox like Grace Kelly/Jessica Biel.

    Of course, any woman I'm in love with is the most beautiful in the world.

    ReplyDelete

Chime in!