Saturday, December 25, 2010

What's to come: the flip-side of the end of the year

I have one planned review left for this year. I may write more, but I already wonder how a mere Half a Film Student can improve Net-flixation for 2011. I will also make a Year in Review/End of Year post, but I have to talk about the past a little before I reveal what's in store for the future. I hope the info isn't annoying.

Overall, I've averaged 1 post per week. Depending on what's going on, I can easily post twice (even 3-4 times) in one week, but August, September, and October still saw delays of 10 to 17 days. Injuries, crises, new jobs... These things happen, but I know I can do better.

Anyway, once per week was fair enough when every post was an in-depth review or a lengthy article - it's not simply a matter of effort, but of time for a little research and the like. But I wanted to use different formats, and I've introduced occasional news, youtube highlights, etc. With so many more options, it's far easier to weigh in quickly and often.

In fact, shorter reviews are going to become a regular thing again. I started "Movie Review Quickies" as 4-9 sentences on films that don't "need" deep reviews. Just a bigger version of the "Already in Theaters" page in newspapers + a trailer...

And as delays piled up in 2010, I tried to pack more punch into them. My last MRQs are now long enough for 2 or 3 thorough reviews. They made a great apology for a 2-week break, but 2800 words on 7 movies can also inspire a 2-week break, y'know?

So, maybe this advance knowledge is the best Christmas present I can give. Coming up, I will have...
1 - "more" news posts, provided that I actually find the news interesting and/or have something to add to the words of aintitcool or avclub or variety;

2 - more articles or reviews focused on great directors - specifically, Hitchcock, Brooks, Cronenberg (of course), Nolan, Sayles, and the Coen Brothers;

3 - specific upcoming reviews include: Miyazaki's "Spirited Away" and/or "Howl's Moving Castle;" "Evil Dead 2;" "The Fog of War;" "Trading Places;" "Planes, Trains, & Automobiles;" Brannaugh's "Henry V;" and "License to Drive" or another Corey/Corey classic. There are many more, but I only planned 3 of the 7 above before writing this post...;

4 - more reviews of movies I stream and rent from netflix, like "Eye of the Needle" and "Contempt." I've definitely seen more in the last 6 months than "GI Joe," "Rescue Dawn," "The Asphalt Jungle," "Black Dynamite," and "The Illusionist;" and

5 - more posts on movies I've seen in the theater. Offhand, I can think of 3 movies I saw this year that haven't been reviewed yet - "Inception," and the 2 "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" sequels. In fairness, I haven't had time for second viewings to shake up my opinions on these, but I should have covered them already.

The past is past. For the last week of 2010, Net-flixation will have my roundup of 2010 movies, cover a Christmas film, and maybe 1-2 more posts. I just wanted to chime in to give everyone a sense of what's to come.

As to the recent site redesign, it was a long time coming. In large part, it was brought about by a friend's suggestion (thanks Scott!). To a smaller degree, I made myself promise I'd actually find the necessary time for it. It's weird to prioritize the things you do for free, by yourself, over the things you do for pay, so you can live in an apartment instead of a subway tunnel.

There will be more changes, but since I'm still only Half a Film Student, I'm not sure what I can promise yet.

And, by the by, one of my Christmas movies for today will be "Jaws 4: The Revenge." No kidding, it takes place at Xmas! If you didn't know, it stars Michael Caine, in desperate need of a down-payment on a new house.

I still haven't decided whether I'll go to the midnite show of the original "Die Hard" that will play tonight in NYC. Holler if you want to help me make up my mind...
Happy Holidays!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!