Friday, February 25, 2011

Hipster Ariel, the Best Internet Meme

I want this in a locket around my neck.

And then I found that picture, and I somehow felt complete. As a terse dissection of modern fads, it's a champ. As a hysterical zinger, it's a freaking charm.

I will return to some internet memes, perhaps even ones I've mentioned before. But this is surely my favorite. I thank the genius who started Hipster Ariel at tumblr. Hell, I even thank the reposters over at Buzzfeed.

The angsty-yet-earnest look, the glasses, the attitude: it's just perfect.


It's like "Velma" from "Scooby Doo" became hot and rebelliously super-pretentious. How many people have you met that fit this bill?

I've never been the biggest fan of internet memes. They're too stupid, usually, to even be especially funny. It's like downing a Hostess devil dog: sure, chocolate and cream! But you might as well get something really nice out of those calories, and it's not all that special.


The folks who thought up - and the others that contributed to - Hipster Ariel/Hipster Little Mermaid picked the perfect target. Mockable, recognizable, and the captions get to be great one-liners that explain themselves neatly.

It's sorta silly, then, because some people got a kick from "America's Funniest Home Videos," while I love this.  If you're going to take one image or idea and run with it, you might as well choose something funny as hell.

Just scroll through the hilarity at some website, and let's laugh together.

Half a Film Student

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!