Thursday, April 23, 2015

Net-flixation's Sixth Anniversary!

Happy anniversary, everyone! Although this is a fine day, I can not and will not celebrate it the way I have in the past. So, if you were expecting me to go on about my pride, hard work, and gratitude - all of which still hold true - just click the Holiday tag on the far right side of the screen (or below this post), and you can read my prior anniversary entries.

I mean really, why sweat it? Even this week couldn't go perfectly, as I only realized on Tuesday that 5 important paragraphs weren't included in my Recommendation of Justified. All I could do was re-insert them and leave a note saying where the new text was placed.

Instead, I figured I would do something different this year. And it all starts with an apology. See, for a long time now, I feel like I've been misleading everyone here. The most damaging lies are often the ones we tell ourselves, but being untruthful can also harm others.

So now, with a deep breath and a girding of my loins, let me just confess:

Contrary to the title of my March 2012 post, Amazon Prime does have subtitles.

I know, I know - this is a cruel betrayal, one both unexpected and disappointing. I couldn't just be the unbelievably cute, super-cool guy that I am, I had to have a dark secret. I only hope you can still respect me.


This may be hard to understand, but it was true at the time that Amazon's video streaming service didn't offer subtitles. I tried again and again to get them to work, then I wrote my post... Yet I've known that closed captions are now available since last May!


Only at this late date do I find myself incapable of living the lie any longer. I feel like I must sing it from the rooftops - Amazon streaming has subtitles! It has them on 1990's comedies, like Groundhog Day:


Anyone who's deaf, hard of hearing, or in a noisy room can rest easy, assured of captioning even for 1980s comedies, like Airplane!:



Amazon also made sure that its selection of foreign films has subtitles, like Let the Right One In:


But that's not all, ladies and gents. No, subtitles are even available for mid-90's action pix, like The Fifth Element:



Isn't it all amazing?



Truly, these are miraculous times we live in. I hope you enjoy your time here whenever you take a stroll through this site. I'll close out my 2014 film reviews in the next few weeks, with more TV coverage on the way. Thanks for coming, and happy anniversary, everyone.

Fondly,
Half a Film Student

PS - Now go out there and enjoy those subtitles!

7 comments:

  1. Happy blog anniversary! 6 years- oof! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You're the f--king best!

      I only figured I would do this for 3 years, so "oof" indeed. But you know what they say - it's not the years, it's the mileage.

      And I look forward to your anniversary later this year. I'm sure you'll celebrate it even better than I have...

      Delete
  2. Happy Blog-a-versary! Six is sweet but will you go for ten?:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And Hahaha, hell, no, I won't! I'll put it this way: this post is #884 for the blog. I know I'll break 900, but (spoiler alert) it'll be impossible that I get to or exceed 1000.

      Delete
  3. 6 years! That is so impressive! Especially considering how detailed your posts are, next time I have a free hour I'm definitely giving your recent stuff a read

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, love! I know that my work with images here pales in comparison to what you do on your site, so I take it as high praise.

      Yes, please do check it all out. I have plenty more coming soon, and you know that I'll be on your site, reading and commenting on everything not exclusively GoT-related. And I still have a post on Gone Girl to go up in the next few weeks...

      Delete
  4. 6 years! Wow. That's very impressive.
    Happy belated birthday! :D

    ReplyDelete

Chime in!