Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Japander, a great Fan-made Gem site

Wow, that was an awkward title, huh? But the proof is in the pudding, and this site is so impressive that... just check this out, for some reason a Bruce Willis fuel ad has more energy than some of his films:


I want that clip in a locket around my neck! I discovered Japander.com years ago - I'm so happy to know that it's still live, that you can still watch vids on it, and that the owner plans to moved clips over to Youtube.

The Japander website has, on its main page, a simple-yet-elegant mission statement. I've copied it here:
Pander:n., & v.t. 1. go-between in clandestine amours, procurer; one who ministers to evil designs. 2 v.i. minister (to base passions or evil designs, or person having these)
Japander:n.,& v.t. 1. a western star who uses his or her fame to make large sums of money in a short time by advertising products in Japan that they would probably never use. ~er (see synecure, prostitute) 2. to make an ass of oneself in Japanese media.
So, do you want to see the sorts of crazy ads that Arnie has done for Japanese TV? No problem. How about Nicholas Cage? Ditto. Mariah Carey? Peter Falk? Bruce Willis? Winona Ryder? Yes to all of the above.

The footage amassed is just hysterical, weird, and mind-blowing. Who can resist stuff like this:


I can't believe I haven't mentioned this before now. I hope you have fun scanning through Japander. Unfortunately, the site's news updates aren't dated, so I don't know when it was last active. Worse still, I can't find the site owner's Youtube channel or playlist. Just use this Youtube search as a start.

I will never understand why Japanese commercials can be so over-the-top and hyper-stylized that they're practically absurdist art. You've never seen crazy unless you've seen a Japanese ad. Or maybe they only make ads like that to humiliate and embarrass American stars? That idea's so funny, I wouldn't care if it were true.

Really, the site is one big Fan-made Gem; I'm happy to be able to share it with you and praise the site's creator. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!