Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Great New 2001 Fan Trailer

Most film fans love and revere Kubrick's 2001: A Space Odyssey. One clever person decided to remix the trailer to give us an idea of what the teaser would look like if that movie had been today. I learned about this through The AV Club (as I so often do), and they called this the "Michael Bay" version of the film.

That's not doing Film School Rejects, or their Youtube channel, MoviesWithFSR enough credit. This isn't simple Bay-mockery, this is a genuinely enjoyable trailer that not only totally perverts the original material, it makes a good commentary on how these things are done (badly) today. In this case, tho, I actually like the soundtrack.

I disagree. I think this is more in the style of the Resident Evil flix, and those awful Aliens Versus Predator pictures, or pure action fare like Gamer and Crank. Yup, if Uwe Boll or Paul W.S. Anderson had made a 2001, this is what the trailer would look like. Please watch and try not to laugh so hard that you worry your coworkers.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Isn't it just? I love the pace and energy that all the scenes get, and I love that soundtrack.

      I've been remiss in checking out your site for the last couple of weeks - I promise I'll fix that this weekend. Lawyering takes a lot out of me when I've got extra projects on the side...

      Delete
    2. Never fear -- I have been equally remiss in checking out yours! I can always relate to people who don't have the time to read as much/see as much as they wish they could.

      Delete

Chime in!