Monday, August 19, 2013

I Love Seinfeld's Movie Posters


Seinfeld was one of the funniest TV comedies ever. At its best, it was more smartly-written than any other series on the air. Employing everything from sarcasm, sight-gags, callbacks to prior eps, slapstick, and wordplay, the show created by Jerry Seinfeld and Larry David is a comedic juggernaut.

Among other things, Seinfeld was great at having little throw-away gags. It also had the New York City residents at its core engage in realistic urban activities, like group trips to a mall (to take advantage of having access to a car), meeting up at Chinese restaurants, and going out to a movie. And movies ended up featuring a lot in the adventures of Jerry, Elaine, George, and Kramer.

This TV series, however, didn't just have the cast going to second-run shows of popular or famous films. These characters were often talking about and watching new movies - fictitious movies that were created by Seinfeld's crack writing team. And then some day, a genius whose site is called oldredjalopy decided to create posters for those movies.

A lot of people have so many good, sharp memories of Seinfeld; it rivals the first 8 seasons of The Simpsons in terms of being quotable and capable of staying in the thoughts of fans years later. I'm simply highlighting the graphics created for the two made-up pictures that I remember the most - Rochelle Rochelle and Death Blow.

This is probably the best tagline ever.

The graphic designer here was smart enough to keep the various subtitles and taglines that Seinfeld & co. came up with. But they also gave the images a sense of reality by including popular actors and actresses in the cast list - as well as directors. And while I wouldn't want to see Lars Von Trier's version of Rochelle, Rochelle ("a strange erotic journey from terror to death"), I can get behind Hugh Jackman headlining David Cronenberg's Prognosis Negative. These little touches make a lot of difference...

I love these posters - as noted in the title of today's post - and I'm happy to be able to show a couple of them here now. But enough about me - I'm grateful to nextmovie.com for informing me of this and hosting the 10 or so ads that I found there. I suggest you check them all out and have a great big laugh at the use of existing film marketing images - the casting choices alone are pretty fine...

2 comments:

  1. True, Death Blow has the best tagline ever, and Michael Richards's impression of the trailer announcer was spot on. The second-best fictional movie tagline came from the short-lived Jay Mohr TV series Action, where he was a Hollywood action film producer. His big movie's tagline was "Dying is Easy." The film's title? "Slow Torture."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't think I saw that but I do remember you telling me about it. That's really a genius title-tagline combination!

      Delete

Chime in!