Sunday, August 4, 2013

#555 & Reviewing with Others Pt. 45: My Village, My Lobster

So let me first note that this is the 555th post on Net-flixation. I did not make a big deal out of #550 because I'm too much looking forward to #600. Although I said that these Sunday posts would go up at noon, EST, I was offered the chance to get overtime pay today - and then I had to see some friends. Trust me when I write that I'm proud of my triple-nickles milestone, and that I got this post together as quickly as possible. I think my work ethic speaks for itself. Now on to what you should know:

At the risk of seeming rude, how could I not choose to review a movie with a title like My Village, My Lobster? Sadly, nothing about the experience was a laughing matter, as this documentary covers the exploitation of Nicaraguan divers who end up getting incredibly sick to satisfy consumer's desire to eat the spiny crab.

It gets even worse when you realize that many people in the area are dependent on this business - so a steady decline in demand (and, thus, divers' pay) as well as a ban that was enacted this year are likely to cause even further problems for people that already possess so little. The movie is good in making us think about the human cost of our culinary desires. You can read my review here at Man, I Love Films.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!