Saturday, January 26, 2013

Reviewing with Others, Pt. 36, sorta: Top 10 of 2012

It's funny, the Indie Spotlight reviews I do for Man, I Love Films require a score (tho it's hearts, not stars), which is something I don't give to my film coverage here. Similarly, I posted my unusual Year-End Roundup in December, listing my best and worst experiences. I wrote a little about each entry, but I didn't provide anything like a top 10 list.

Well, guess what? Man, I Love Films asked me for a top 10 of 2012 list, with no explanation or text, and the lists of the site's writers went up today, near the end of January. Yes, that site and mine handled these things in opposite ways, but I'm happy that they waited 'til now, as I've been incredibly busy, and the delay gave me a chance to see at least one more 2012 movie (Django).

Honestly, I was a bit nervous about my list, because I only watched maybe 6 of 2012's wide-spread theatrical releases. The rest of my new 2012 viewing was made up of the 30+ indie movies I reviewed for Man, I Love Films. I couldn't give The Cabin in the Woods a top spot, as it just wasn't scary enough. And tDKR made the list because it was fine and entertaining, but it was also the most flawed part of Nolan's trilogy; if I'd seen Holy Motors or maybe Life of Pi, Moonrise Kingdom, or... let's just say that tDKR probably wouldn't have made the list, nor is it likely that The Avengers would have been my #1.

I can't explain how weird it is to call Sironia one of the top 10 of 2012. It's a great movie, but many people probably haven't heard of it! Save the Date and Cure for Pain made the grade, too, but my choices are partly due to what I was and wasn't able to catch in theaters by the time I had to submit my list.

Also, after I sent my entries, I realized that I probably should've ranked Looper higher than Django. And, again, I wish I'd had a chance to see even a big release Zero Dark Thirty, which I simply have to watch now because I mouthed off about a pic I haven't seen...

In any case, if you're interested, you can read my top 10 list for 2012, as well as those for every Man, I Love Films writer, with the exception of Kai and Dylan, the two site founders. Their lists will go up at a later date...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chime in!